Monday, October 20, 2014

The Land of Your Imagination By: Anton Graindel D. Saab


Life is never fun without traveling, they said that you won’t experience living unless if you travel different hot spots in the world. I consider myself lucky because I live in an Island with diverse places and complex rainforest. It’s not hard for me to look for stunning places because I already have it here in my home town.
Camiguin Island is my home province, it is considered as an island burn of fire and an island of your imagination.  It has been known as a volcanic island since it has seven volcanoes unmatched anywhere else in Southeast Asia and one of the volcanoes there has been unpredictably active which is the Mt. Hibok-hibok. Volcanic eruptions and land movements have created this spectacular island full of natural wonders and historical riches.
SUNKEN CEMETERY
          A huge cross marker at Bonbon, Catarman has been mounted by the Provincial government to mark the community cemetery that sunk during the 1871 volcanic tragedy. Years ago, gravestones were visible during low tide.
            Since I was a child I thought that sunken cemetery is a place where people bury their dead relatives underwater, which I find it hard to imagine. I was wondering on how they dig the sea floor 6 feet deep underground and how they place the coffin on a suitable spot. Sooner I know that the cemetery was not a cemetery that I imagined. It was a public cemetery which sank and drowned by the sea during the volcanic holocaust in 1871. I was impressed about the history of the sunken cemetery; it’s a tourist destination which has to be proud of by my fellow Camiguingnons.
            It was late afternoon since I first visited the cemetery. I was mesmerized by the astonishing scenery which the utter iridescent color of the sunset perfectly reflected to the peaceful sea with a huge cross marker standing with stillness. Seeing the cross with the pink horizon presents serenity which seems like the cross reminds people about the sad memory in the past.
           
ARDENT HOT SPRING
         The local hot spa is a natural pool of about 40 degrees centigrade springing from depths of Mount Hibok-Hibok. The Municipality of Mambajao has provided cottages, restaurant and dormitory facilities that cater to local and foreign tourists. It has picnic huts, cookout facilities and restrooms for visitors. It is ideal for night swimming, a place to rejuvenate both mind and body.
            I use to visit the hot spring with friends and family every month since it is the nearest tourist spot in our branggay . It’s a place where you can put yourself at ease from the stress and doubts you have encountered in your daily life. The ambiance of the place gives you refreshment and hearing the natural voices of the ecological environment makes you want to sleep all day long.
            My friends told me that the hot spring is a habitat of minor deities where accidents and elusive tragedy happened. They said that there are territorial nymphs who drown people to death and shape shifters who pretend to be foreigners. Whatever the myths that I’ve heard from different people, it never bothered people to keep visiting the pleasurable hot spring.
WHITE ISLAND
Two kilometers off the coast of Agoho, Mambajao is the Camiguin's popular sand bar. At times it is in the shape of the letter C, sometimes the letter I, depending on the ocean tide. It has the picturesque Mount Hibok-Hibok and Old Vulcan as its backdrop. It is ideal for swimming, sunbathing and snorkeling.
I can consider this place as a white island that can turn people into black. My experience of White Island was great for I spent my whole time playing on the sand and swimming in a crystal clear water. For the extensive fun with the excessive sun I didn’t recognize that my skin tone was getting darker every minute. I was having a painful sun burnt skin later that day, but I didn’t regret it because it is worth the fun. For me it’s a perfect place for white people who want to tan their skin with extensive fun on the sun.
KATIBAWASAN FALLS
The 250-feet majestic beauty cascades to a rock pool surrounded by ground orchids, wild ferns, trees and boulders. Its ice-cold waters provide an ideal summer splash to locals and tourists alike. Rock picnic tables, seats and cookout facilities are available for use.
                Katibawasan falls got its name from the tagalong word “kati” which means itchy and “bawasan” which means “decrease”. I’ve heard rumors that it is a falls which can cure allergies and skin diseases, yet not scientifically proven that it has a mystical function of curing diseases. My perspective of the falls was magical for I can compare it to the enchanted places I have seen in the movies. I felt like I was in a protected paradise for it is bounded by cliff adhesive with diverse plants and trees. The falls was like an invincible sword lying in a giant canopy.
STO. NIÑO COLD SPRING
Located in Catarman, the Sto. Niño Cold Spring has a pool measuring 25 meters by 40 meters. It is 2 meters deep of cold spring water sprouting from the sandy bottom. The area has a restaurant, native cottages, picnic huts, cookout facilities and restrooms for visitors.
            During summer season the tourist destination is crowded by people from other places. It is a perfect tourist spot to cool themselves from the excessive heat of the sun. It’s very cold that you can cool your beverages without needing refrigerator. I felt like I’m bathing cold water from the Polar Regions that I can spend my whole summer cooling myself off in a pleasurable cold spring.

            It is such a great gratitude that God has given me a home town that can make my life much memorable and meaningful. I’m sure that there are still places that are more surprising and adventurous which are waiting for me to be uncovered. My dream is to travel the different spots of the world before my death. The green fields, golden sunset, mountain ranges, and great moments that I have perceived in my town will always be remembered and will be shared to my grand children. It’s a great life to see the world before your death, so what you waiting for? Start building your dreams to travel the mystique spots of the world! And make your time much valuable and memorable that you can write down in your notes or place it in your photo albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment