Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Camiguin – A Home Far Away From Home


            My mind wandered vigorously as I lay down in the four walls of my room. I have not yet decided where to spend my first-ever vacation. Out of boredom, I surfed the net and so as to relieve myself from dismay. Accidentally, I clicked a link that led me to an attractive and fabulous spot that made me say “Wow”! This is perfect for my dream vacation. Camiguin Island, “The Island of Your Imagination”, situated about 10 kilometers off the northern coast of Mindanao and is the second smallest country both in population and land area after Batanes.
            Without any word, I packed my bags and arranged my air ticket. This is going to be a stupendous trip. As I heard the staff of the plane uttering that we are about to land, my knee shivered the way it never happened before with the expectation of meeting uncivilized citizens but I was proved horribly wrong, there was a twist and suddenly I got aroused by the hospitality of the Camiguingnons, their smiles were very welcoming and all looked as fresh as the daisies growing in the park.
            Without any hesitation, I went directly at Paras Beach Resort to drop my things. I got satisfied with the resorts ambiance and everything was worth the price paid. The place was pleasant and carefree that I decided to stay for an hour. An unsmoked air, lovely pool, clean and green ground needed to be cherished and appreciated and so I did. Another scenic view that made my jaw dropped was a direct sight at majestic white sand.
            I was intrigued by the prospect of the islet and went there as possibly as I could. I felt the excitement and amazement and as soon as I arrived, I jumped frisky from the boat and walked barefoot on the white and soft sand that it seemed to tickle me. It also offers its clear blue waters that you cannot resist to take a swim. Its shiny shells looked like glimmering pearls under the heat of the sun. I got mesmerized by the beauty of the islet especially when I found that its backdrop was the picturesque view of Mt. Hibok-Hibok and Old Vulcan. I went back at the resort feeling fulfilled and happy.
            After a while , I rented a motorbike for I cannot wait to unravel and witness the genuine beauty of the Island. As I was on my way, the grandeur, cleanliness and peacefulness of the island is very much noticeable.
            I stopped by at Sunken Cemetery, located in Bonbon, Catarman, a municipality which was once settled by Spaniards. It was said that the settlement prospered but was destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vulcan on 1871. Some areas subsided sinking the cemetery below the sea level. My next stop was at Catarman Old Church Ruins which dwells few meters from the Sunken Cemetery, both sceneries reminded me of the value of life and to cherish every single day of my life, I sat at the green and clean ground of the old church and felt the importance of this historical place for the Camiguingnons.
            I continued my journey and finally disembarked at one of the famous spots in Camiguin, the Sto. Niño cold spring, it is literally cold that I wasn’t able to survive dipping for 15 minutes. The place is shady and cool that I don’t want to depart from it. The air I breathe was as refreshing as the waters in the pool.
            I found myself stunned by the natural beauty of Tuasan Falls. My efforts for reaching the place were paid upon witnessing its clear and deep pool and awesome environment. With the thick virgin forest surrounding the pool and native ferns and orchids, there’s nothing more you can ask for.
            Another historical place was the Moro-moro Watchtower of Guinsiliban which was built by the Spaniards a long time ago, this was built to look for the moro pirates.
            My way to Katibawasan Falls was fun as I almost got lost , gladly, an enthusiastic and pretty old woman guided me on how to reach the place. And the falls was truly majestic surrounded by tall trees and creeping ferns. Its ice-cold water provided me an ideal vacation splash.
            It was then already dark when I arrived at Ardent Hot Spring, a natural pool of about 40 degrees centigrade springing from the depths of Mt.Hibok-Hibok. The local staff welcomed me gladly and happily and told me that this is the perfect time for a dip at the pool. I felt excited and quickly took a dip, I felt very relaxed and refreshed, the water is soothing and rejuvenating that I don’t want to get out of the pool but sadly, I have to.
            I went back at the resort and was assisted by the staff. I took a rest and energized myself for tomorrow’s activity.
            As early as 3 A.M, I was awakened by the noise of the rooster. I was already energized with the 5-hour sleep. I prepared for the most exciting event to happen in my life. To conquer my fear, together with the local experts, we climbed up Mt. Hibok-hibok, an active volcano in the northernmost part of Camiguin. I almost lost my breath and energy that I earned since last night due to the endless walk but as we reached the peak, all the efforts were worth the prize. It was a jaw dropping sight that all my miseries fade away. This was the best day of my life that if I haven’t went up, I will miss half of my life. I saw species native in the Island such as the Camiguin forest rat, Camiguin forest mouse, Camiguin hanging parrot and Camiguin Narrow mouthed frog.
            I utilized the following hours by sleeping and cuddling with the soft pillows in my room. I need to gain strength and energy for my trip going home.
            Although it was only a 3-day trip, it seemed to be the longest and best days of my life, which brought new happenings and memories to be cherished for a lifetime. Camiguin is truly a place for an astounding vacation. There’s no place like Camiguin, A home far away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment